Pages

Jun 2, 2010

4X4 slalom

Although I normally don’t suffer from travel sickness and even enjoy off-roading through the dessert, Kabul is starting to have a slightly nauseating effect on my stomach. Between the many UN, army and diplomatic compounds lies a network of roads that are more akin to a horizontal concrete ski-slope surrounded by even more concrete, topped with barbed-wire, than the quickest route from A to B. Every 4 to 5 meters there’s an obstacle, forcing the 4X4’s to slalom wildly and throw their backseat passengers from right to left (slowing down would be boring). I’m used to quite a bit of barbed-wire, sandbags and endless concrete walls, but the necessity of bringing Boots travel calm tablets in bulk is definitely new to me.

Luckily for me my hotel and office compound here in Kabul are directly next to each other which means that I can just walk to and from work. Exceptionally, I am also actually allowed to do this since I’m a consultant and don’t have to worry too much about the draconic security rules and curfews the UN and diplomats live under. Obviously you do need to keep your head screwed on, but last Saturday 2 of my colleagues and I were walking downtown at about 10 PM, while the rest of the international contingent was under lockdown…and I’m still alive (past results, do not form a guarantee for the future).

At the moment Kabul is also locked-down outside the gates: the peace Jirga is taking place with some 1600 delegates, which apparently causes ultra-high security risks. I have to say that it all looks a bit much to me, especially since all Afghan staff at my office have been given 3 days off causing somewhat of as standstill in important work. Thankfully I will be traveling to my own province (Farah) tomorrow where people are working, but where I’ll be locked up in compounds and cars..oh well…